Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Dedication

Yesterday I had the privelege of attending a Park dedication in Southwest Calgary. It also was in the same neighbourhood that my Dad's street is on, so it was quite appropriate that I was there. Anyways, it was dedicated to the memory of the "Buffalo 9", who happen to be the nine Canadian Peacekeepers killed when their Buffalo aircraft was blown up in a missile attack by Syria 31 years ago yesterday. It was the worst loss of life that the Canadian Peacekeeping force had ever lost in a single incident. Anyways, overall the dedication ceremony was really well done, and quite touching, though it wasn't as moving as last years Peacekeepers Park dedication. This year nine paratroopers landed landed in the park, and an actual Buffalo aircraft made a low-flying, fly-past, which was really cool I guess one could say. The reception afterwards was really nice yet again. Every August 9th for the past three years my family has been invited to this reception, and very year it gets better. It was nice to see old friends again, and just visit with people. There was a ton of free food, and all the drinks were free as well. I probably would have taken more advantage of the free beer and wine if I wasn't driving. I had been hoping that General Dallaire was going to be there again, but this year he wasn't. He is a very nice man, and my god, does he have stories to tell, actually, all of the people at the reception have some awesome stories, but G. Dallaire's tops them all. Oh well.

In other news, the last Canadian winner of the Victoria Cross passed away. I guess you could say with his passing the end of an era arrived. The end of the Canadian military's Golden Era. Ah well. I think the fact that Smoky Smith is lying in State on Parliament hill is a really appropriate final good-bye to a Canadian who was a living reminder of what courage really is. Now I am not saying that courage is only there if you withsatand a German Panzer attack single-handedly, but that he embodied the self-lessattitude which characterizes courage, and in a way Canadians overall. I was trully saddened when i heard that he had passed away...oh well, who knows what the future will have in store with regrads to Canadian accomplishments.

Now completely switching gears, Hayley's party was a blast. I was very intoxicated to say the least so I am not completely sure of what really went down. All I know is that I stayed up until the sun was rising in the East. Oh, and I had a reminder of why I hate spiders, my god....Bleah! The spider that I encountered on Hayley's garage was really horrifying. Now it wasn't as big as that montstrosity that I saw at Cameron's house, but this thing was much much grosser....ew. Anyways, at least I won't have to worry about it anymore, as I kind of, well, burned it to death the morning after...yeah, now I won't have any nightmares as I know it is dead.

Might be going down to Elkwater this weekend, I hope to be able to, as long as the rain and clouds lift by friday. I love it out there, to just be able to relax, and then go zipping around the lake on a tube. I have my fingers crossed. But if I can't make it down this weekend, then I might go the weekend after, which also happens to be a long weekend for me. I was hoping to get out to Vancouver during that weekend, but I just may postpone that till the beginning of september.

Mark is back from Germany now, so Andrea, Melanie and I are planning on taking the kid out to cowboys tomorrow night. I think I should invite Hayley, I am just worried about her losing control and trying to rape him in the back of the car...the girl is literally crazy about him...ah well, hopefully the fact she has a boyfriend will calm her down.

Anyways, that's it, that's all...have a good one everyone.

Ciao.

2 Comments:

At 8:46 p.m., Blogger * said...

Nice to know all is well in your world. :)

 
At 11:50 a.m., Blogger Roo said...

Aw, Jen...it's been so long...I swear that next time I make my way out to Montreal, you and I will spend the afternoon catching up and gossiping! Until then. Ciao Bella.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home